1.Imparting education through online using virtual platform, non-existent of quality audiovisual content in dissemination of Knowledge, lack of internet to empower e-learning in rural areas were key concerns. COVID lockdown lead to closure of Schools, disrupted lesson plans, broke teacher child – parent interaction, lowered students Knowledge, increased failure in exams, impacted teacher’s revenue. Crisis enabled me develop AVC- audiovisual course which serves as a cornerstone of many blended online courses as it offers effective educational tools, helps to reduce cognitive load, increases student engagement, enables active learning experience.
2. During Covid 19 students felt boredom while teaching few dry chemistry topics. AVC audiovisual content developed may be used in all blended courses/flipped learning courses .Using content specific technologies Role of innovative teaching methodology required.The main challenge arises in building a story board, using multi disciplinary sciences like Physics, biology etc Using introductory Defense Mechanism in Millipede Benzaldehyde is introduced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crQXa8_1xzE Ethanol is introduced by explaining real life example hangover experience caused due to alcohol consumption https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9sG4COmKzY. Boron is introduced by a farmer raising tomato crop story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zagWiMzWlgg, skydiving experience explains alkyl halides, popularizes science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fgcx6TdMo 3. Creating curiosity among students is key concern.
Question Based Study What, Why, How is used. Pictorial representations of turbine motor shown to aid in understanding thermodynamics. In kinetic theory invisible atoms are visualized using small balls with animated movement, simulated highlights depicts collisions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0uxOH4Bm2M In solid liquid equilibrium, water is represented as the Space filling 3D model to provide exact positioning of 3 atoms in water H2O. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COrZ6OS-SqU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef3f3AWXMmk – In Photoelectric Effect electrons are shown as red balls, in depth inner atomic view explains concept.
4. Clearing basic to advanced level concepts to students is challenging, requires scientific approach. Experimental audiovisuals designed using scientific methodology. In Rutherford’s experiment, to explain how alpha rays deviate at 120 & 180 degrees, in depth animation with positively charged alpha particles shown as balls, undergoes repulsion aids in conclusion atoms has condensed atomic nucleus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWIfz1JSe70 In-depth animation on Oil Drop experiment visualizes oil drop in ball form, explains how droplet becomes negative on x ray exposure, clings to droplet bringing conceptual clarity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdLvJujDrAI. Werner Heisenberg’s Uncertainty principle, leading to quantum model of atom is hardly understood by students.To glorify Heisenberg’s idea innovative thought experiment was designed to explain Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, instills scientific temper, stimulate Out of Box Thinking leading to inventions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxjW1GutYZg. Several ball stick models were used to explain organic chemistry mechanisms https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCjsM-IM4Zs. Inorganic topics like yellow flame test of Sodium is explained depicting the electronic transition. Existence of sand in silica SiO2 is explained 3 dimensionally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuATSEUyFx0
5. Relating two variables like pressure and volume and proving Boyle’s law of inverse proportionality Pressure-volume is a difficult proposition using data. Two variables like pressure and volume related using experimental data, compiled in graph mode using Boyle’s Isotherm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINEYcyzxK8. Space filled ball structures used to explain relation between rate of reaction & reactant concentration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ke4dbg6nY
6. Difficulty in student understanding arises when topics like Frequency of wave, SN2 mechanism Walden Inversion in alkyl halides. Frequency is explained using Man sitting inside a boat in still pond analogy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zroD3-KaioQ, Walden inversion mechanism explained using Turning of Umbrella https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Znfdsnjb4, Limiting reagent explained using sandwich analogy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCas6IXZLM8 . To give real live experience original background sounds like water splash, wind were used.
7. Inability of Student in solving numerical is key concern. Problems related to conversion of centimeter length to meter. Problem solving approaches? To ease Dimensional Analysis numerical animated video is used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXXSIDF2DRE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErAd1oumVKI Live problem videos using whiteboard, Wacom, Screen recording software are used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AAMDA76nQ
8. After topic explanation in class room, many students could understand the concept but are failing in application part. For example: How could we explain breathing process in humans using chemical equilibrium?Breathing video explains chemical equilibrium application https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-65LBCplHXw Movie watching video explains Tyndall Effect phenomenon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDFTAEKSIK0 Sailor signaling in sea, Holmes signal are Phosphine gas applications. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJl9IVf0eI
9. How to relate explained topics to engage students in a class room online? Frequency of Wave Live experiment video in class depicts effective student engagement & conceptualization https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N7pYmPZACg 10.
Shared chemistry knowledge through YouTube channel with 44.4K viewership, 507 subscribers, Quora with 175 followers, answered 112 questions, have 313k viewership, posted LinkedIn videos helped science popularization. https://www.linkedin.com/in/desam-sudhakar-reddy-557a934b/detail/recent-activity/shares/ , AVs helped students build strong foundations in Chemistry, enabled innovative Teaching methodologies to educator, finally instilled research aptitude among scientists. Against all odds, the desire or passion to teach & share my knowledge in the field of chemistry, has rekindled & aided me to develop good quality videos and I believe that it would have a huge impact on learning process of students & as well aid in enhancing teaching methodologies. Contributed to Education and Environment by publishing different articles. Received “Excellent Scholar Award”, “Best Video Award”& nominated for “Best Innovative Learning Tools “at International Education Awards IEA 2020, adjudged as Challenge Winner for Digi EduHack 2020 – Global Event.AVC Impact – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXOEeKWehA ; Awards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xaq6Lr1LXc ; Impact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrcd1smPr88 ; YouTube Channel : Chemistry by Sudhakar, AVC : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN9QmNjdY55NqHlQJXm1uZg,AVC WEBSITE : https://www.avceducate.com, Quora link: https://www.quora.com/profile/Desam-Sudhakar Published international articles sharing valuable insights contributing to education and environment. 11. Equity in delivering Education – Societal Approach: Teaching Chemistry to students since 20 years. In 10 years developed 900 audiovisuals, covering 38 chapters, prepared Story 1000 Boards, typed 35000 slides, 45 hour Voice over’s recorded, dedicated research in teaching methodologies – Probably no man on earth would had ever contributed to Audiovisual Development in chemistry discipline/any discipline, Contributed 2 decades to education sector. Easy access to Education: Videos of 6- 8 minute duration, with less than 10mb size is easily transferable, accessed by all rural students/faculty deprived of proper internet facilities 12. Wise use of technology: AVC audiovisual content is highly sustainable as it can incorporated in all blended courses/flipped learning courses. Superlative audiovisuals can effectively disseminate knowledge with latest futuristic AR/ VR technology in designing practical’s, Artificial Intelligence/Game based education projects, which promotes better student engagement